This event involves hitting white target balls positioned on specially designed mats on 6 different stations. The player throws alternatively first in one direction then in the other direction on court. The athlete is in a continuous state of running. Only a regular throw (target ball hit in a regular manner) allows for progression to the next target ball (from the closer station 1 to the furthest station 6 and vice versa- at a distance of 13m and 17m respectively from the first line).
Validity of throw
- Must be a regular throw, therefore delivered from behind the foot line (first line)
- A thrower is obliged to pick up the throwing bowl from the bowl stand
- In no case whatsoever may the bowl be handed to the athlete (throw will not be counted)
- Where three such violations occur, the player will be disqualified
- Throw is null if referee notes an incorrect positioning of the target ball
Duration of the game and scoring
- Players with bowl in hand stand behind the second line, waiting for the start signal
- The duration of the game goes for a maximum of 5 minutes.
- Each target validly hit within the time set for the game is worth one point
- In case of a tie, a supplementary game is played at half the duration (with 30 minutes rest between)
Fast throw in pairs
This exciting event is played with two teams, each made up of two throwers who take turns in throwing.
- 4 consecutive bowls are thrown from each of the two throwers
- The positions of the target balls remain fixed for the duration of the game
- 1st and 3rd targets: position number four on the mat
- 2nd and 4th targets: position number two on the mat
Note: alternative rules apply for Women and U14 athletes.